Pages

background


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for...

ICE CREAM!!!

I got this for my birthday from my wonderful Husband. Since my birthday was 11 days after I birthed a child it has taken me awhile to get to use it a couple of times.


What is it you say? It is an ice cream attachment for the Kitchenaid, aka heaven. When I told Brian that I wanted it for my birthday I didn't know how it would change our lives. The only homemade ice cream that I have had has been sort of icy and un-flavorful (Not a real word I know!) But I had read on various places online that homemade ice cream could in fact be amazing, and in fact, it is!

These are the recipes that I have tried and liked, with a little review of each (just in case you to would like a scoop of heaven.)

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: My first attempt cooking with vanilla beans. This was really good, we even used some of it in root beer floats. I however thought that it was a little too creamy...I know that the PW changed the recipe so that it was made with only cream but it was to much for us. When I make it again I will use whole milk for half of the milk in it.

Coffee Ice Cream: This is my all time favorite ice cream so I was really excited to try and make it. The recipe calls for decaf coffee beans but decaff is weak sauce so I used the real thing. This ice cream was pretty stinkn' amazing! The coffee flavor is pretty intense. If you like a more mild flavor of coffee in your ice cream I would cut back the amount of coffee beans or cut back the amount of seepage (ya, seepage) time in the cream.

Chocolate Ice Cream: OH MY GANACHE is right!! This chocolate Ganache ice cream is sooooo good! This ice cream is best I have made so far, and that is coming from someone who thinks that chocolate ice cream is only so, so. It's perfect, that's all I have to say about that!!

So far I have only made custard based ice creams. Next I want to try a sorbet. I have some yummy peaches sitting on my counter and I am thinking that they are begging me to put them into a sorbet.

This ice cream maker is going to make me put all my baby weight back on!

No comments: