Pages

background


Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My First DIY

So last weekend I decided to try my first attempt, since my wedding, to pull a little at home/Martha Stewarty DIY project. We have been needing a coat rack by the door for some time. I blogged below about a project that I found that I really liked, and tried it this weekend. Here is the end result.






I thought that it turned out pretty well. The wall definitely needs something else on it, I want to get a shelf with some baskets to go on top of it. I went to a store in town called Ro Sham Bo, that specializes in nice papers and stuff like that. Then I went to Home Depot and got everything else that I needed. The paper was $3 a sheet (I got two in case I really messed one up), the board that I covered was a shelf for about $4 and then I bought hooks (which was the most expensive thing at $4 a piece) and spray adhesive. I spent around $30 on the whole project, which I felt was decent.


The project took me about 2 hrs. Not including drying time since I also covered the paper with Modge Podge to protect it. It took us longer to find studs, center the coat rack, and drill screws into the wall (sorry landlords!) then it took me to make the coat hanger. My handyman came out in full force (see this post to understand the full story!) and was pretty sure that the screws did not even end up in the studs!


What I might do different:
  • I am not sure that the paper I picked actually fits with our decor, even though I really love it. I had my 9 month old niece with me in Ro Sham Bo and she was getting cranky so I picked one that I really loved and even at the time I wasn't so sure about how it would fit in our house.
  • I would probably also spend more time finding fancier hooks that complimented the paper better. When I got to home depot they didn't have the selection that I wanted and I didn't have time at the moment to run around anywhere else to see what the selections were. I was so excited to do the project that I just bought the ones that I thought would work the best. It looks fine but they definitely don't and any wow factor.

All in all I am happy with the project, and can't wait to start my next one!

No comments: